Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Turning tears into Joy


Read Psalm 30.

David was an overcomer.  From his youth into his last years, he faced down life-threatening challenges.  Each time he cried out to God and each time he experienced God's deliverance.

1. He overcame personal attacks. (v.1)
His enemies wished him ill.  They wanted him to fail.  Watching for him to slip up, they could not wait to say, "We told you so."  But it did not happen.

2. He overcame physical ailments. (v.2)
"You have healed me" was his prayer.  Yes, the LORD has supplied doctors and medicinal help.  But ultimately it is God who is in control.  "See now that I, even I, am he and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand." (Deuteronomy 32:29)
So, we should pray for God's help and take our medicine, thanking Him for the provision.

3. He overcame spiritual abyss. (v.3)
Emotionally, he had been "in the pits".  But God lifted him up and restored his hope.  Eternally, he realized but for the intervening grace of God he would have been forever separated from the LORD.  But God stepped in and gave him the assurance of everlasting life.

As a result, David's tears turned to joy; his mourning into dancing; his crying into singing God's praises for all to hear.

Charles Spurgeon wrote: "Grace has uplifted us from the pit of hell, from the ditch of sin, from the slough of despond, from the bed of sickness, from the bondage of doubt and fears; have we no song to offer for all this?"


No comments:

Post a Comment