Saturday, January 25, 2014

Light for my I's

Read Psalm 119:105-112.

Nun

Verse 105 is one of the best known statements from the Psalms.  In this fourteenth stanza, the psalmist begins by describing the Word of God as a lamp and light.  It is very personal in the application.  Here is how the illumination of the Scriptures has impact on daily life.

1. My direction. (v.105)
The "lamp to my feet" shows me clearly where I am.  The "light to my path" clarifies where I am going.

2. My confirmation. (v.106)
There must be time and place when one decides for themselves to step across the line of faith and embrace this One as LORD of life.  The purpose of such a personal commitment is "to keep your righteous rules."

3. My affliction. (v.107)
Tough times will come.  These may be turned into seasons of spiritual growth.  "Give me life" is a call for reviving the heart, refreshing the spirit, in the midst of difficulty.

4. My submission. (v.108)
Most often freewill offerings involve financial generosity.  But here it is the sacrifice of praise.  The statement in this verse goes beyond giving; there is receiving as well.  Intentionally investing time to be taught the Scriptures requires submitting our schedules to God.

5. My distraction. (vv.109-110)
Everyone has stresses and threats nearly everyday.  They may be physical, relational, occupational, spiritual, or financial.  If we are not diligent, these can distract us, even derail, our fellowship with God.  Remembering God's Word will anchor us in difficulties.

6. My celebration. (v.111)
Having a heritage (Hebrew=possession) of the Scriptures is something not everyone has.  It should never be taken lightly or for granted.  This prized possession goes to the heart, stimulates our joy, and causes us to celebrate our relationship with God.

7. My inclination. (v.112)
Growth in the knowledge of God's Word and putting into practice will alter our lives inside and out.  It will change our natural bents and behaviors to a life that is focused on pleasing our Savior.

No comments:

Post a Comment