Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Benchmarks of an Encounter with God

Read Genesis 28.

Jacob traveled away from home and family.  In a strange place, after dark, he slept.  Here God revealed Himself personally to Jacob.  It is the first account where faith in God became personal to Jacob.  The Abrahamic Covenant was passed on directly to him and his descendants.

When Jacob awoke, it was more than rising out of physical sleep.  He woke up spiritually!  "Surely the LORD is in this place, and I did not know it."  This recognition is one of the benchmarks of a true relationship with God.  God is omnipresent.  Jacob was away from home, but not away from God.  When one fails to acknowledge and respect God's presence sin will soon follow.

Jacob had at least three responses to this encounter with the LORD.
1. He worshipped.  He even marked the spot and created a memory where God changed his life.
2. He declared his faith.
3. He committed to give a tenth of all his increase.  Remember, this statement had nothing to do with keeping the law.  The law does not come for a few hundred years after this.

I often think back of the dark bedroom at 820 Hartview Avenue where recognized His presence and I knelt to give myself to Jesus.  I remember openly declaring my faith in a baptism service at Calvary Baptist Church.  And, I am grateful to Mr. Snider who challenged me at 14 years of age to honor the LORD by tithing my little income.  Those benchmarks are still with me and guide my daily life.

No comments:

Post a Comment