Saturday, December 24, 2011

What do you want on your tombstone?

That question was the commercial advertisement for Tombstone frozen pizza.  Allow me to rephrase the question: How do you want to be remembered when you are gone?

Two of my grandchildren were in the car with me yesterday as we passed a cemetery.  It was the day before Christmas Eve, yet there on the grounds was a family solemnly viewing a headstone.  My grandson, Austin, asked, "Why are you whispering?"  I said, "I was just praying for that family.  It is Christmas time and here they are in a cemetery remembering someone special who is not with them this year."

In Genesis 5, twice we read the words, "Enoch walked with God."  We do not know about his "career", his accomplishments, his physical attributes, his personality, his social skills, his financial net worth, his possessions, nor what he left in his estate.  Evidently, nothing else was not worth mentioning.

Jude 14-15 records that he was somewhat of a prophet and preached the coming judgement on those who reject God.  In Hebrews 11, where Enoch's name appears again in the Bible, the epitaph is simply that he "walked with God." 

There is a vast eternal difference is just "making a living" and living for God.

Someone once said, "At death only God is great."

I want my family and friends to know exactly where I will be spending eternity.  But, I also want them to know and see that I walked with God and with them here and now.



1 comment: