Monday, October 1, 2018

Feeling Overwhelmed?


Read Psalm 61.

Even as the great King of Israel, there were times when David felt overwhelmed.  Life happens and sometimes causes the heart to "faint."  He needed a safe place for his soul, one of peace, a dependable spot that did not change with circumstances.  David found that security in God.  Notice the multiple descriptions he used.

1. God is a Rock.
To some Jesus is a rock of offense and rejected.  Psalm 118:22 states, "The stone that the builders rejected has become the cornerstone."  The Apostle Peter wrote in 1 Peter 2:6 that this "stone" is Jesus.  He is the Rock of our faith.  As the Cornerstone, all the rest of life's construction is measured from Him.

2. God is Strong Tower.
In ancient times, cities built walls for protection with towers for various reasons.  Some towers were only watchtowers for lookouts.  However, a "strong tower" was a place where people could run if the city was being invaded.  It would be built out of stone so the enemy could not burn it down or penetrate it.  To be there was to be safe.  In Psalm 144:2 David wrote: "He is my steadfast love and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield and he in whom I take refuge."

3. God is a Shelter.
He described this particular covering as one of a mother bird with open wings where her young could huddle for protection and comfort against a threat.  Who can read this and not think of Jesus' words of lament concerning the city of Jerusalem?  "How often would I have gathered your children together as a hen gathers her brood under her wings, and you were not willing!" (Matthew 23:37)

William O. Cushing penned the text that later Ira Sankey put to music:
"Under His wings, O what precious enjoyment!
There will I hide till life's trials are o'er;
Sheltered protected, no evil can harm me,
Resting in Jesus I'm safe evermore.


No comments:

Post a Comment