Wednesday, January 28, 2015

3 questions that define the future and the Present

Read Ezekiel 39.

The Lord continued to deliver a prophetic message to Ezekiel concerning Gog and the allied armies.  In a repeat of what He stated in chapter 38, God will "drive" the battle to the mountains of Israel.  There He will intervene and to nullify the effectiveness of the attackers' weapons.  "I will strike your bow from your left hand and will make your arrows drop out of your right hand." (v.3)  Not only will theses armies be defeated, but their homelands will be destroyed.  "I will send fire on Magog and on those who dwell securely in the coastlands..." (v.6)

Such a war has never taken place in history.  Therefore, this remains an unfulfilled prophecy.  Nor can it be spiritualized.  The exact nations are identified and God even provided the name of the future cemetery, "the Valley of Hamon-gog."  It will require seven months to locate and bury all the enemy dead.  Instead of Israel being annihilated, the Jews will confiscate and benefit from all that belonged to their invaders.

1. What will prompt God to take such judicial action against these nations?
"I dealt with them according to their uncleanness and their transgressions." (v.24)  It was their sin against Him and their rejection of the LORD that stirred up His wrath.  This will be a time for Him to demonstrate to them and the world that "I am the LORD."

2. Why will God do this for Israel?
This is all part of His original and unconditional promise to Abraham (Genesis 12, 15, 17).  God will secure the land for Abraham's physical descendants.  He will gather the Jews from all over the world to bring them home (v.27a).  He will "restore the fortunes of Jacob" (v.25).  He will "pour out my Spirit upon the house of Israel" (v.29).

3. What is God trying to communicate?
Four times in this chapter the LORD repeats His motive.
-"My holy name I will make known in the midst of my people Israel, and I will not let my holy name be profaned anymore.  And the nations will know that I am the LORD, the Holy One of Israel." (v.7)
-"...that I may show my glory." (v.13)
-"And I will set my glory among the nations..." (v.21)
"...through them have vindicated my holiness in the sight of many nations." (v.27b)

The God of Heaven jealously protects His name, His holiness, and His glory.  His desire of us today should be obvious.  Our speech, our behaviors, even our thinking and plans are to be in alignment with what is holy and what will honor Him.  "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer." (Psalm 19:14)

No comments:

Post a Comment