Sunday, May 18, 2014

What do you say to an empty Life?

Read Ecclesiastes 1.

How do you measure a life and its value?  What determines true success?

In 1904, there was a national contest to determine and award the finest definition of success.  After scrutinizing all the entries, the judges selected this one: "He is successful who has lived well, loved much and laughed often."  King Solomon declared in essence at the outset of this book, "I lived well.  I love much.  I laughed often and achieved all my goals.  I had it all-all this life could offer me.  But when I backed off to see the results, I felt empty inside."

The key word he used some thirty-seven times in these twelve chapters is "vanity."  The word means "vapor" or emptiness.  He goes on to say that his endless desire for more was proved to be a "vexation" to his spirit.  All of his efforts seemed like "striving after the wind."  Catch a handful and there is really nothing there.  Read: no satisfaction.

However, Solomon knew that life did have great meaning.  It simply was not to be found in earthly pursuits.  Throughout the book the "A" part of his message speaks of emptiness.  Fortunately, he does not leave us there.  Each time he presents a "B" part that brings the reader to a point of hope.  Apart from God, we are destined to measure life only by achievements that produce culturally accepted results.  But true success in life is much more than being famous, how many sales were closed, or how much profit was made.

Five passages in the book of Ecclesiastes explains that God gives us temporal, material possessions to enjoy as a reward for our labors, to please our spouses, to provide for our families, and to use for the glory of God.  Just remember that they are only temporal.  One day we will leave them all behind.

In light of the fact that we will all stand before the Owner of life for accountability, the most important question is how will the LORD measure my life?  How did I respond to His love and offer of forgiveness in Christ?  Did I use the financial resources, abilities, and time He allowed me to have as a good and faithful steward?  Am I only living for "now" instead of what I can enjoy forever?

No comments:

Post a Comment