Wednesday, April 23, 2014

6 questions to ask of every Plan

Read Proverbs 16.

Everyone has dreams and desires they would like to see accomplished.  But without plans and action on those, our desires will be merely wishes that will never happen.  Planning requires thought.  What should we be thinking in regards to things we want to see take place.

1. Who is in control? (vv.1, 33)
Ultimately, we must be willing to submit our wills to His sovereignty.  We can come up with ideas, even wonderfully helpful ones, but primary in our thinking must be what the LORD wants us to be doing.
 
2. What is my motive? (vv.2, 18)
Is this a selfish idea to feed my pride or is this a great plan that will help others?  Pride is the enemy.  Getting ahead at all costs will not go unpunished.  Winning is a worthy goal, but it is not everything.

3. How have I prayed? (vv.3, 9)
Notice, it is not did I pray but how.  Was I trying to talk God into my idea or was I surrendering my thoughts to His will for my life?  The outcome of the latter will be a settledness in my heart as I move forward.

4. Do I recognize God's purpose? (v.4)
Ephesians 2:10 states that our lives are His workmanship.  In Romans 8:28, Paul wrote that all things in life work together for our good and God's glory.  Envisioning how this plan fits God's purpose for my life provides a boldness and confidence nothing else can.

5. What influence could this have on those who do not like me? (v.7)
A wrongful competitive spirit can be warlike.  But one of the indicators that the Holy Spirit is in control is peace.  We cannot control nor are we responsible for how others may respond.  We are accountable to God for actions.

6. Where is this leading? (vv.17, 25)
Is this plan clean before God and is it headed in the right direction?  A hallmark of the right plan is that it leads away from anything sinful or evil.

A valuable verse to memorize:
"Commit your work to the LORD and your plans will be established." (v.3)

No comments:

Post a Comment