Monday, December 2, 2013

An Invitation to Sing

Read Psalm 95.

This song is an invitation to all to join in singing.  Some may feel they cannot "carry a tune" and have no capacity.  But the writer encouraged making a joyful noise.  Whether you can sing or not, make it loud.  Some may feel they have no reason to sing to the LORD.  So, the writer reminds us of several.

1. A call to sing praises to God. (vv.1-5)
"Oh come..."  Why?  Because Jehovah is a great God and King above any other persons or objects of worship.  He is the Creator and Sustainer of all things.  There is no one like Him.
"I am God, and there is no other; I am God and there is none like me." (Isaiah 46:9)

2. A call to worship God. (vv.6-7a)
"Oh come..."  Why?  Because the LORD is not only God, but He is our God.  We are His people.
"The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want." (Psalm 23:1)  The eternal, life-changing word in that verse is the little word "my".  He is ours and we are His, forever.

3. A call to listen. (vv.7b-11)
"Today...do not harden your hearts."  Hearing God's voice requires a soft heart; one that is open to receive what He has to say.  Every moment the LORD wants to give us direction, guidance, and wisdom.  Those who close their hearts toward Him are on their own and pay an awful price.
"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you."
(Psalm 32:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment