Friday, November 16, 2018

9 disciplines of godly People


Read Psalm 101.

David not only served as shepherd, a mighty warrior, and king, but he was called "the sweet psalmist of Israel."  Music gained him entrance into the service of King Saul and continues to be a major part of his legacy.  In this song he made nine commitments using the words "I will."  These do's and don'ts express the need of all who desire to live a life that pleases the LORD.

1. I will sing.
This is the new song of praise to God for His personal love and His concern to bring about justice.
2. I will make music.
His praise was not limited to his voice.  He also used instruments to worship God as well.
3. I will ponder the way that is blameless.
Doing what is right requires thinking and considering what God wants us to do.  Thoughtless words and deeds lead to sin.
4. I will walk with integrity.
Incongruity is hypocrisy.  A double-minded person behaves one way when people are watching and another privately.
5. I will not set before my eyes anything that is worthless.
Our choices of what books and magazines we will read or not read, the television, movies and internet sites we will view or not view are tests of our integrity.  These are character decisions.
6. I will know nothing of evil.
Often, it is curiosity or the popular thing to do that leads us to explore or experience sinful things.  Sin is never victim-less.  Everyone involved and everyone around those involved are affected.  Evil is always energized by demons.
7. I will destroy slanderers.
When gossip and slander is allowed dissension will be the result.  These are cowards who use words to talk about others instead of speaking with them in love.
8. I will not endure pride-filled people.
God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble.  Tolerating an egoist will hinder the grace of God in every situation.
9. I will look with favor on faith-filled people.
If you desire to live a godly life, then surround yourself with godly people.  Watch.  Listen.  Learn from them.


No comments:

Post a Comment