Thursday, August 20, 2015

Who killed Jesus?

Read Matthew 26.

Ever since the time of the crucifixion there have been those who tried to lay blame for killing Jesus.  Some of the earliest writers accused the Jews.  Many have used the statement by the Apostle Paul to the Thessalonians as a proof-text.  "For you suffered the same things from your own countrymen as they did from the Jews, who killed both the Lord Jesus and the prophets..." (1 Thessalonians 2:15-16)   The Sanhedrin, the ruling council of Israel, hated Jesus because He claimed to be God and the Messiah.  However, they had no power to crucify Him.  They arrested Jesus, falsely accused Him, and, in essence, forced Pilate to do the job.  But it was not all the Jews.  Crucifixion was a Roman means of execution.  So, do we blame the Roman government or both the Jewish leadership and the Romans?

Those are human arguments.  If one would simply read the Scriptures, a third alternative becomes very clear.   Here is the real answer: Jesus said, "For this reason the Father loves me, because I lay down my life that I may take it up again.  No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord.  I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again." ( John 10:17-18)

Jesus was born to die "for the forgiveness of sins" (Matthew 26:28b).  He ministered for three years and journeyed to Jerusalem right on time, in the exact and eternal plan of God.  He knew and even stated in advance each thing that would happen to Him.  All these were within the Father's will.
"...the Son of Man will be delivered up to be crucified." (v.2)
"...she has done it to prepare me for burial." (v.12)
"My time is at hand." (v.18)
"...one of you will betray me." (v.21)
"You will all fall away..." (v.31)
"But after I am raised up, I will go before you to Galilee." (v.32)
"...not as I will, but as you will." (v.39)
"...your will be done." (v.42)
"See the hour is at hand." (v.45)
"...my betrayer is at hand." (v.46)
"But how then should the Scriptures be fulfilled, that it must be so." (v.54)
"But all this has taken place that the Scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled." (v.56)

The truth is that we put Jesus on the cross.  He died and paid for our sins so that we may have forgiveness and eternal life.  "For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God."  (2 Corinthians 5:21)  What a gracious exchange!

No comments:

Post a Comment