Saturday, December 27, 2014

Why God does what He Does

Read Ezekiel 20.

A third time the elders came to Ezekiel for a word from the LORD.  We are not told the question on their minds, but whatever it was God refused to be inquired by them.  He had something else to say.

In this chapter, God retraced a thousand years of Israel's history.  He took them back to the Exodus from Egypt, then the through the wilderness, into the promised land, and to Ezekiel's day.  The review from God's perspective was to demonstrate His mercy, His grace, and His patience with His people.  After each instance of His loving care for them, the LORD desired their faithful worship and obedience in return.  But each time, the nation failed to forsake the false worship of the cultures around them.  "Let us be like the nations, like the tribes of the countries, and worship wood and stone." (v.32b)

Such actions of sin are repeatedly referred to as rebellion against God.  Each instance could have resulted in death for the entire nation.  Indeed, God said that very thing to Moses in Exodus 32.  However, the LORD stayed His wrath.  Even when He finally judged the northern kingdom of Israel by scattering them and the southern kingdom went into exile, it was to demonstrate the same purpose.  From generation to generation, His motive did not change.

What was, and continues to be, the main motive of God in His actions?

Three times the LORD declared: "I acted for the sake of my name, that it should not be profaned in the sight of the nations..."  His chief concern was to protect His reputation and character in His world and especially among His chosen people.  In other words, the nation of Israel was meant to show the world what a difference worshiping and obeying God makes.  When they acted instead like everyone else, they violated their assigned mission.

The closing verses reminded them again of the future hope of the nation.  Like a shepherd, the LORD will count His own individually (v.37).  It will be a new day with a new covenant.  No more will they profane His name by giving themselves and their resources to inanimate objects.  His people will live and give to Him alone.  "And you shall know that I am the LORD, when I deal with you for my name's sake..." (v.44a)

Jesus said, "I am the good shepherd.  I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father, and I lay down my life for the sheep." (John 10:14-15)

No comments:

Post a Comment