Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Where is the Evidence?

Read Ezekiel 15.

Several passages of Scripture likens Israel to God's vine.  For example, in Psalm 80:8-9 Asaph wrote, "You brought a vine out of Egypt; you drove out the nations and planted it.  You cleared the ground for it; it took deep root and filled the land."

The purpose of planting a vine is that it will bear fruit for the owner.  The reason God planted the descendants of Abraham on the land of Canaan was for them to bear the fruit of righteousness for Him.  They were to be a blessed testimony for the LORD to the other nations.  But Israel, and specifically Jerusalem, had separated themselves from God.  Their lives produced nothing that was godly.  Therefore, they had become spiritually unusable.

God is looking for the evidence of faith in His people.  Having "acted faithlessly" (v.8), the response from God was that such a vine was only good for a fire.  And, so the fire of God's judgment would be on its way.

For those who claim to be followers of Christ, there are some parallels here with the statements of Jesus in John 15.  "I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser.  Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit."  He went on to say, "I am the vine; you are the branches.  Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing.  If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers, and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned."  "By this is my Father glorified that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples." (John 15:1-2, 5, 8)

No comments:

Post a Comment