Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Singing Along with David

Read Psalm 18.

This is a song of victory.  The inscription identifies this as written in response to being rescued from Saul and his army.  Though a warrior with his own troops engaged in the battle, David gave God full credit for His divine intervention.

Here the sweet psalmist of Israel showed his giftedness in writing artistic poetry.  Using multiple metaphors, David described graphically who God is and how God acted on his behalf.  It began with a testimony of worship.  He sings of his love for God and here is why-
"I call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies." (v.3)

1. God rescued him.
David was in a tight spot, cornered, and seemingly with no way out.  God opened a door for him to overcome the adversity.
"But the LORD was my support.  He brought me out into a broad place; he rescued me because he delighted in me." (vv.18b-19)
"You gave a wide place for my steps under me, and my feet did not slip." (v.36)

2. God rewarded him.
David had done nothing wrong, yet he was being pursued to the death.  God saw his character and humility.
"So the LORD has rewarded me according to my righteousness, according to the cleanness of my hands in his sight." (v.24)

3. God reminded him.
In his relief and joy, David recalled a truth he already knew, but at this point he could embrace it with even stronger faith.  God is trustworthy.
"This God-his way is perfect; the word of the LORD proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him." (v.30)

We can all sing along with David:
"The LORD lives, and blessed be my rock, and exalted be the God of my salvation." (v.46)


No comments:

Post a Comment