Sunday, July 21, 2013

A Life of Integrity

Read Job 27.

Integrity, according to Webster's Dictionary is "the quality or state of being complete; wholeness; entireness; unbroken state...honesty and sincerity."  Integrity is when thoughts, words and behavior are consistent.  A break in consistency reveals a lack of integrity.  It is the opposite of hypocrisy, where a person says one thing but does another.

Job defends himself in this chapter with a few of his strongest personal statements.
"...til I die I will not put away my integrity."
"I hold fast my righteousness and will not let it go;"
"My heart does not reproach me for any of my days."
His conscience was clear as a result of a consistent life.

Two bedrocks of integrity:
1.  Job committed himself to God.
"Though he slay me, I will hope in him." (13:15)
2. Job committed himself to God's word.
"I have not denied the words of the Holy One." (6:10)

In order for one to live a life of integrity there must be an absolute commitment to a group of core values. Without such a commitment one will be a slave to their own weaknesses and/or the culture around them.  This requires discipline to read, study and put God's word into practice.  But the outcome is a life of honor.

Acts 24:16-"So I always take pains to have a clear conscience toward both God and man."

No comments:

Post a Comment