Thursday, August 9, 2012

What does God want from us?

Read 1 Samuel 2:12-36.

The contrast in this chapter is unmistakable.  In the first part, we are told of a godly woman who worshipped, who prayed, who experienced the LORD's blessing.  In the second part, we find that the priests were spiritually and morally corrupt.

Eli was not only the High Priest but he was also the father of these two men.  Was Eli responsible for their sin?  No.  These were grown men and fully responsible for their own behaviors.  Should Eli have confronted the sin and removed them from service?  Absolutely! High Priests served for life.  Eli was quite elderly.  He knew what was happening and only reprimanded them.  Sin is like a cancer.  Left unchecked it will only spread and become fatal.

We are not left in doubt as to what God was thinking and wanted said.  He sent an unnamed "man of God", a prophet, to deliver His message.  The message had its roots in the book of Exodus where the LORD chose the tribe of Levi to professionally serve Him.  These men had received a special and godly heritage to steward.  Instead, they treated what God had given them with "scorn" (v.29).  That root attitude of rebellion against the LORD and His plan for them is a key definition in the Bible of sin for which Jesus died (Isaiah 53:6).

What does God want from us? 
There are two key verses here that answer that question.
1. "...for those who honor me I will honor, and those who despise me shall be lightly esteemed." (v.30)
Do my thoughts, my words and my actions moment by moment honor the LORD?
This requires self-awareness and self-discipline.
"So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." (1 Corinthians 10:31)

2. "And I will raise up for myself a faithful priest, who shall do according to what is in my heart and in my mind..." (v.35)
Under the New Covenant (New Testament), believers in Jesus are His priests.  We have a heritage of faith and service to steward.
How can we honor Him if we do not know what is on His heart and on His mind?
This requires reading, meditating, and being taught the Word of God. 
"I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you." (Psalm 119:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment