Friday, March 9, 2018

Dealing with those nagging Problems


Read 1 Chronicles 20.

Once the mercenary army of Syria had been defeated, David waited until the spring to deal with the Ammonites.  Israel's army completely overthrew Ammon and brought to David all the spoils of that land, including the king that rejected David's kindness.

The parallel passage to this chapter is 2 Samuel 11.  There we are told that while Joab fought the Philistines David was committing adultery with Bathesheba.

From time to time Israel would defeat the Philistines and control them, but they never truly conquered them.  Goliath's brother and other family members evidently were as big as he was and they met a similar fate in battle.

Like the Philistines, some of our problems never seem to go away but rise up and nag us from time to time.  Paul had such a struggle.  He battled whatever it was.  He prayed for its removal, but the thing just would not go away.  For us whether that is a temptation to sin, physical ailment, or a nagging need we may rely on the words of Jesus, quoted by Paul.

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.'  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities.  For when I am weak, then I am strong."


No comments:

Post a Comment