Friday, July 21, 2017

We all need a safe Place

Read Numbers 34-36.

Before the nation entered the land of promise, Moses gave some broad instructions on dividing up the land among the 9 1/2 tribes.  Then, he turned his attention to the tribe of Levi.  As a chosen tribe of priests who served the other tribes, the Levites were not granted a single large portion of real estate.  Instead, they were given six strategically located cities with their surrounding pastureland; north, central and south on both sides of the Jordan River.

These were called Cities of Refuge.  Not only did the Levites live in them but the cities provided a safe haven for a person who accidentally killed another person.  Protection was provided from unjust avengers.  It was not a safe place for criminals. 

We all need a place of refuge; a safe place when things go wrong.  Sometimes it is accidental and without intent on our part.  Often it is our own fault as a result of a foolish decision.  But trouble, guilt, and oppression sooner or later will find everyone.  

Here is our Hope-
Psalm 9:9-"The LORD is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.  And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O LORD, have not forsaken those who seek you."

Psalm 59:16-"But I will sing of your strength; I will sing aloud of your steadfast love in the morning.  For you have been to me a fortress and a refuge in the day of my distress."

Psalm 62:5-8-"For God alone, O my soul, wait in silence, for my hope is from him.  He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken.  On God rests my salvation and my glory; my mighty rock, my refuge is God."

No comments:

Post a Comment