Thursday, April 4, 2013

It is not how you start that Counts

Read 2 Chronicles 26.

Many runners may begin a race in the lead.  Many leaders rise to the top early in their career.  In the final analysis the only assessment that counts is how one finishes.

King Uzziah began his reign doing all the right things and God blessed him accordingly.  At age 16, he needed a mentor and the LORD provided Zechariah, the prophet, to teach the king the word of God and how to put it into practice.  Early on then, the king made some solid spiritual commitments (v.5).

1. He set himself to seek God.
A person who desires to live for the LORD must discipline themselves each day, throughout the day.  The Christian life is not merely coming to faith in Jesus but cultivate a growing in relationship with Him.  This, as with any relationship, requires time and effort.  Uzziah "set" himself, became determined, to pursue God.

2. He became a student of God's word.
He sought out and received instruction.  Notice that this was not an academic exercise, but the intent of the teaching was to learn "the fear of God."  Who is He?  What has He said?  What are His expectations of me?  How can I show respect for the LORD in my daily thoughts, words, and actions?

And, as long as Uzziah maintained these commitments, the LORD blessed him in every aspect of his life.

The turn in the story is in verse 16.  "But when he was strong, he grew proud, to his destruction."  As a young man, he knew his limitations and willingly acknowledged his dependence on God and others.  But one of the dangers of success and achievement in life is a wrong sense of independence.  Respect and need for people and even God can become dispensable.  Living independently of the LORD is the essence of sin itself!

In Proverbs 30:7-9, Agur wrote: "Two things I ask of you; deny them not to me before I die: Remove far from me falsehood and lying; give me neither poverty nor riches; feed me with the food that is needful for me, lest I be full and deny you say, 'Who is the LORD?' or lest I be poor and steal and profane the name of my God."

In order to finish strong in life, the old hymn writer said it best, "I need Thee every hour."


No comments:

Post a Comment